Entradas populares

jueves, 18 de agosto de 2011

El directo de SLTS habla


In the fall of 1991, [the ‘Teen Spirit’] video was getting a lot of airplay on MTV, and I would spend hours at my girlfriend’s house just laying in bed waiting for it to come on, ’cause it was really exciting, really like nothing else out there. At the time, I think my competition was a million-dollar Guns N’ Roses video and Michael Jackson doing something with Eddie Murphy or MC Hammer. The ‘Teen Spirit’ video was nasty, brown-colored—it looked dirty, it really stood out. Within a year of that, there were a lot of different-looking videos: Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden. It seemed like all the videos now had this angry, dark vibe to them.
- “Smells Like Teen Spirit” director Samuel Bayer on the landmark video (filmed 20 years ago today), from the upcoming book Everybody Loves Our Town: An Oral History of Grunge
In this excerpt from the upcoming book Everybody Loves Our Town: An Oral History of Grunge, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” director Sam Bayer recalls the video’s now-legendary Aug. 17, 1991 shoot:
“The kids were recruited from a Nirvana show on the Sunset Strip, and they were egging on the band, so it was kind of me versus them—and I was losing. Kurt absolutely hated me by the end. He didn’t want to lip-synch the song. And I always believed that maybe his anger with me added a whole level of intensity to his performance. I always had a vision for something destructive at the end of the video, but truth be told, I was so beat up by the end of the day I just couldn’t take any more. I was sitting on the dolly and somebody came up to me and said, ‘Kurt wants to invite the kids down to destroy the set.’ And I’m like, ‘Great. Destroy the set. What do I care?’ And the kids came down, and it was this beautiful display of anarchy and destruction; I just flipped the camera on and shot 400 feet of film, and that was the end of the video.”

Ya lo traduciré

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario